The "Family Blog"

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dinner!

Once again, I found myself at dinnertime with no ideas, very little food in the pantry, and no motivation to go to the store. I scrounged around and found some out-of-the-box pizza ingredients, and actually managed to sneak some veggies into the kids. I even liked this one myself - something about the combination of the sweet corn, the cheese and the nutty sunflower seeds. Harry asked what it was so I called it:

Mexican Pita Bread Pizza.

Ingredients (for each pizza):

One flatbread or pita bread (I like the flatbread better, but use whatever you like - good bread is essential)
Fresh salsa from the refrigerator section at the grocery store - 2 tbsp
Cheese (I used reduced fat mexican cheese blend 'cuz that's what we eat) - 1/4 cup, or more
Canned sweet corn - 1 tbsp
Canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained - about 10-15 beans
2 tsp sunflower seeds (no really!)

All the amounts are approximate because I did this on the fly - use however much looks good

1. Set the oven to broil
2. Lay out your flatbread(s) on an ungreased cookie sheet
3. Spread the salsa evenly on the bread, sprinkle with the corn
4. Sprinkle the cheese over the top
5. Sprinkle on the sunflower seeds, then the kidney beans (I made smiley faces with the beans)

Set on the top rack of the oven and broil until the cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes. WATCH CAREFULLY as there is a fine line between bubbly cheesy goodness and burnt pizza.

Remove and allow to cool briefly, then cut into pieces and serve.

The kids chowed this! Of course, you never know if they will still like it tomorrow, but still...

No comments: