The "Family Blog"

Friday, July 4, 2008




Lily is sleeping; Harry is outside doing something with his father. Let's see how much I can write before I get interrupted. I am a bit slowed down by a small but painful cut on my left index finger...not exactly bitten but more grazed by a cat's canine tooth as I was trying to intubate it.

Anyway, the kids have been busy. Daycare has been taking them on one or two field trips every week. They have been to the botanical gardens, the water fountains at the Gateway, the zoo, This is the Place State Park, the ice cream shop, the aviary, and the park. They have a better social calendar than I do. Yesterday they had a parade down South Temple. We were asked to dress the kids in red, white and blue. I scrounged around and came up with a white shirt and red shorts for Lily, but nothing blue. So I tied one of my bandanas around her neck like a scarf. Harry saw this and immediately wanted a scarf too, so I tied one around his head.

Harry was talking nonstop about the parade and how they were going to have hot dogs and watermelon afterward. We even got to "school" early because he was so psyched to go. After the parade, they brought all the kids back and had them use the potty. When Harry was having his turn, he somehow managed to get his finger caught in the bathroom door and lacerate it right down to the bone. The little bugger was lucky he didn't amputate his finger. His teachers could not contact me (apparently the front desk put them on hold then forgot to tell me I had a call), so they called Chris, who had been up working all night and had just laid down for a nap. Groggily he went down and brought a crying Harry (after wrestling him back into his clothes and into the car) to the emergency room for sutures. An off-duty ER fellow saw them sitting in the waiting room and took pity on Chris; she sutured a drugged and giggling Harry while Chris distracted him.

By the time I got home, he was right as rain, with a big bandage on his left hand. Tough little bugger.

Lily has a few words now: ticka ticka, bear, Wilbur (Wih-buh), milk, na-na (banana), dada, and probably a few others. She is also running around (and falling down) a lot. We have an incident report to sign off on most days, sometimes one for each kid.

That is all for now. Happy Fourth!

No comments: